In 2012 there were approximately 27,000 federal employees and a range of federal facilities in the County. These facilities comprise several large employers, such as:
- The IRS
- Joint Base Andrews (JBA)
- Major research engines, such as:
- The Beltsville Agricultural Research Center
- The FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- The NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction
- The U.S. Census Bureau
- Other agencies
While an important source of high-paying jobs, Prince George’s County has neither captured its proportionate share of federal leases, especially for office space, nor been successful in promoting spin-off development associated with its federal facilities. Several initiatives will help alter these trends:
- The Defense Base Closure and Realignment (BRAC) activity has directed several thousand new jobs to JBA expanding the base’s footprint even further in the County.
- A HUD Community Challenge Grant has funded the preparation of an action plan to identify market-driven strategies and development incentives to attract federal and spin-office tenants and mixed-income housing along the southern Metro Green Line.
- The JBA Joint Land Use Study Implementation Committee is working on a range of issues, including how to promote base-related economic development.
- A site adjacent to the Greenbelt Metro Station has submitted a bid to house the new headquarters for the FBI which could bring upwards of 11,000 new jobs to the County.