- Natural Environment
- Policy 2
Improve and maintain water quality through stormwater management and water resource protection
- NE2.1 - Undertake measures and conditions, as appropriate, to help implement and meet the state and federal pollution reduction requirements of the local Phase II Watershed Implementation Plan (WIP) for the Chesapeake Bay Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) and County MS4 requirements in coordination with County efforts.
- NE2.2 - Utilize the local Clean Water Act fees to fund projects and programs to meet the stormwater pollutant load reductions mandated under federal and state law and to improve the water quality of local streams and the Chesapeake Bay.
- NE2.3 - Prioritize restoration projects from the WIP that will support the future land use pattern. Downtowns should be given priority for stormwater retrofits, especially environmental site design practices. Land acquisition or ecological restoration activities should be targeted to stronghold watersheds.
- NE2.4 - Create a comprehensive and coordinated tracking program to monitor implementation of WIP projects. Water quality and habitat measures should be continually tracked at the 12-digit watershed scale countywide using readily available data.
- NE2.5 - Identify strategies to reduce impervious surfaces by amending County codes and coordinating County agencies.
- NE2.6 - Develop a program to utilize vacant land (both publicly and privately owned) for stormwater management. Acquire land to serve the dual purpose of green infrastructure/stormwater infiltration and recreational/open space.
- NE2.7 - Evaluate the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Anacostia Watershed Restoration Plan’s identified list of projects and prioritize. Seek a variety of funding sources including public, private, and public/private partnership opportunities.
- NE2.8 - Continue to coordinate with the State of Maryland on the proposed nutrient trading program and on policies to reduce nonpoint source pollution to meet the requirements of the Watershed Improvement Plan.
- NE2.9 - Implement the remaining policies and strategies of the 2010 Approved Water Resources Functional Master Plan (Water Resources Plan). Continue to evaluate master plans, planning studies, and development review applications for Water Resources Plan.